Tuesday, April 1

A New Goal (for tomorrow)

I think I complain too much. Anyone who knows me knows this to be true (though they may be nice and try to assure me otherwise). However, I know this about myself. I see it in the expression of my co-worker who is already stressed to the max with his own duties and gives me that half-paying-attention look. I know I should stop, but I just have to get out whatever the immediate frustration is, so I complain, and in some instances I think I bring him down. Now, don't get me wrong. Venting is a perfectly appropriate thing to do every once in a while. I have noticed that I "vent" more often than any person should. The other day I heard another one of my co-workers talking about one of the employees who seemed to complain about everything the company was doing. He complained to everyone and would comment about how he should just retire (he's an older man). The co-worker said to us "Geez. I would hate to be that old and be that disgruntled about my job." It cut me. It cut me real deep.

So I have decided that tomorrow I am going to try to go through the whole day without complaining about anything. And I mean anything. I am going to find nice things to say (if I can't say them already), I'm going to think good thoughts (instead of the negative ones that are there more often than not), and I'm going to try my best to not bring my co-worker down. I understand this is going to be a challenge, but it is a challenge I really need so I can see just how much I complain in a day, and if I am strong enough to change my thoughts and words. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Oh, and my good thing for today...when I got into work I noticed that someone had changed my calendar over to the month of April for me. I know it's not the greatest thing in the world to most people, but I couldn't help but think that it was such a nice gesture, and it made me smile every time I looked at it. Good things do not always have to be on a grand scale. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.