Saturday, April 19

Hiking Trip - Week 1

Today was the first day of my spring and summer hikes and I must say it was a rousing success! I was nervous about how I would handle the difficulty of hiking after having been away from it so long. I am happy to report that I did much better than I expected! Zack and I had a blast! From the moment we stepped out of the car I was pumped. I had honestly forgotten what it feels like to be out amongst nature, to be one with the goodness that is this Earth, and to appreciate God's beauty.

The weather was perfect for our first hike as well. The sun was shining, but it wasn't too hot. The wind was blowing a gentle breeze against our faces as if encouraging us to continue onward. The worn, yet still rugged trail was full of rocks and surprisingly pleasant travelers. I was impressed with how the prospect of being outside in the natural environment brings out such friendliness in people. Everyone...every single person we came by smiled and said hello. There is something to be said about people like that. I think those who suggest there are no more niceties in the world should go take a hike...literally! It makes a person feel good, wanted, appreciated, and supported.

The hike was thrilling, mostly because it was a straight incline to get to the summit (well, what we called the summit before the trail split two ways) and the path was uneven. That is what made the hike so fantastic though. On one side of us was a steep mountainside, and the other a slopping meadow full of wildlife. We could hear dozens of birds in the bushes, and saw loads of grasshoppers (which I personally cannot stand), bees, and cacti. I was especially impressed with Zack's knowledge of his surroundings. He told me all about the different types of rocks we passed, and even paused to show me some examples. It was refreshing to see him so excited and appreciative of nature when he has interests in other things that most 11-year-old boys do such as skateboarding, swimming, and riding his bike.

The only problem with the hike today was that we really didn't have enough time. We were only able to hike for about 45 minutes and it really didn't leave any time for hiking further than we did. Next week we will be taking this same trail to the summit and then branching off to the Little Thompson River trail. It should be fun. We are taking my families' dog Jelly Bean as well. She's a black Chinese pug and completely full of energy, so it will be a blast! I'll put more pictures on here next week of our adventures. For now, I am completely exhausted so I must sleep. Good night everyone!

No comments: