Tuesday, April 22

Potentially Bad News

So most of you are aware that I went on a hike on Saturday for about 45 minutes, and will be going on a much longer hike this weekend (I'm talking two or three hours). Well, there is some potentially bad news with this new goal of mine. See, I'm kind of allergic to the sun. If I am in the sun for longer than 15 minutes I tend to break out in little blisters all over my arms and legs, or whatever part of my skin is actually out in the sun. James likes to call them sun spots. "Look at my arms James," I say to him after I have been in the sun that day. "Oh! You have sun spots all over your arms." He replies. It makes me laugh really, and helps me not feel like some sort of leper with an infectious disease. At any rate, after the hike on Saturday my arms started to break out and I have spent every day since slathering prescription medicine on them followed by lotion in order to prevent them from turning into something worse than what they already are. The "sun spots" are little water blisters that burn, itch, and otherwise wreak havoc on my skin. Then they pop and turn into scars or truly painful sores. Ok, maybe I am getting a little too detailed for some of you, but I wanted to paint the picture. I have been trying to take care of this in the hopes it will all be well again by Saturday just so I can do the same thing again next week. I have tried applying sunscreen, lotion, wearing protective layers (which is extremely bothersome considering it is hot outside) and other sorts of remedies but to no avail. And the downside of having the effective prescription medication is that it thins my skin, making it even more pleasant for when the contact with the sun occurs. Ok, I just wanted you all to know that my weekly hikes might need to be adjusted due to this new problem, but I will keep you all informed. :)

3 comments:

azufelt said...

Interesting about your sun spots... My good friend gets somethign very similar to that, she was later diagnoes with having lupus. I don't think she has it terribly bad, but she does take meds that help keep in under control.

You'll have to find an indoor place to hike... maybe the mall! I mean, with enough stairs on either end, distance to walk around and heck, there's even a rock climbing spot inside the sporting goods store... it's the next best thing!

Chilly Beans said...

The thing is, it's not about the walking. I can walk anywhere, anytime I would like to. The whole reason why I decided to go on hikes was to get out into the mountains, back into nature, surrounding by the beautiful scenery. I miss doing that. Besides, hiking in the mall? Um, I don't think so. :) But thanks for the comment!!! :)

azufelt said...

hhhmmmm.... I guess that's understandable... but maybe some place like Cabella's or Basse Pro Shop or something outdoorsy... I mean, Cabella's down here is almost better than going to the zoo... you can see all the animals close up, they aren't lazy, and hiding from you, and the whole place is air conditioned and filled with artificial trees... it might *feel* like you were getting back to nature!