Wednesday, August 26

"How are you feeling?"

I've come to not really like that question these days as I have not been feeling well at all. And I find that if it isn't one thing it's another, and just as I start to feel a small bit like my old self again, I find I am struck down once more by something new. For instance, the last couple of weeks I have had unbelievably painful migraines practically every day. After speaking to my doctors we found it was due to a sensitivity of the food dye on the medicine I take each day for my thyroid. As a result I had to go from taking one pill a day to three and a half pills a day, but at least I am no longer suffering from the daily horrific migraines. But just as I start to get over that I get something else. My left eye has become really red on the inside and nothing I do seems to make it any better. And some days I feel like I have been struck by lightening with sporadic painful misfiring of the nerves all over my body, and others I feel like I have been stoned... in the biblical sense, not the drugged kind. So when people start to ask me how I am feeling I am torn between saying something vague like "Oh, I'm hanging in there" or going into some real detail such as "Well, if you have about twenty minutes I can tell you how I am really feeling today only to have it all change four hours from now when I could be doing much better or much worse".

Having thyroid cancer sucks.

No comments: