Tuesday, June 14

A Tribute to My Father - Day Two

I think you have heard me state before that I come from a family of eleven children. If you haven't, well, then I just said it. Keeping track of each child's birthday can be both confusing and frustrating. I was born in May, and ever since I can remember I have regarded my birthday as one of the best days of the year. My two favorite days are Christmas and my birthday and I love getting gifts for both! Growing up I loved it when my birthday was treated as a special occassion.

I was born on May 26th and growing up I always got to choose what kind of dinner and cake we would have for my birthday. My dad is a great cook who makes exceptionally delicious food and he was always making something out of these cookbooks that he had. They were the McCall's Cooking School Cookbooks that had all these laminated pages full of color photos of wonderful dishes with complete step-by-step instructions on the reverse side. Since I got to choose what kind of cake I wanted to have, I choose to pick one that my dad and I could make together and I chose this amazing chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate chips on the top to make. It was fun baking it with my dad. I think all I really did was stir a couple of things together, and add the chocolate chips at the end, but it was nice to spend time with him and watch him work his magic in the kitchen. He was focused, but engaged in conversations with me, and he didn't mind me asking questions about what he was doing. It was a good day.

Another time on my birthday my dad had to go to the store to pick up some items. I remember I was sitting on the living room floor doing some homework when my dad asked me a question that filled my little heart with joy. He said, "If I were to see something that you liked at the store, what would it be?" My mind began to race through the store aisles in my head, desperately trying to pick one thing that I would most want. I told him, "Watermelon Bubbalicious Gum!!" Oh, man did I love that stuff!! I didn't get it very often since we didn't have a lot of money and it was considered a luxury. But I could always blow the best bubbles with it, and the watermelon flavor was my favorite! I was so excited at the thought of getting my own pack of gum from my dad on my birthday! It was bliss! He kept telling me that he wasn't sure if he would get it, but I held out hope that he would. When he came back from the store there wasn't a pack of gum in the bag, but it was in his hand and he tossed it to me and said happy birthday. It was so great.

Making cake with my dad, and getting special treats from him for my birthday was special, but there was one birthday in particular that I have a fond memory of. It was early morning and I was getting ready to walk to school. My two older sisters had already left for school, but since I was in junior high I didn't leave until thirty minutes after they did. I was the only one awake and I was just eating my breakfast when the phone rang. I raced to answer it and heard my dad's voice on the other end. He had been at work for almost two hours already and wanted to talk to me. I didn't know what he wanted to talk about until he said, "I just remembered that today is your birthday, so I wanted to call and wish you a happy birthday before you left for school and tell you that I love you." My dad couldn't see it, but I was smiling as I thanked him for taking the time out of his day to call me and wish me a happy birthday. I told him I loved him too, and then a couple of minutes later the conversation ended and I hung up the phone. I went back and finished my breakfast, feeling so special that my dad thought about me and called to wish me a happy birthday. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my birthday was three days away. (Don't feel bad if you are reading this, dad!!) I was just so happy!

I love my dad for all the things he has done, and the man that he is. I love him for the sweet moments he has thought of me, and the times he has called to talk to me. I just love him.

No comments: