Wednesday, August 25

The Weapons I Use

I've had a lot of doctor's visits and tests done the past couple of weeks and I must say that I am tired. It takes a lot of effort, both physically and mentally, to go through all this stuff, but I realized the other day that I am not defenseless in this battle in my life right now. I have weapons that I can/do use in order to help me get through it. Here is a list of the weapons I use in no particular order:

1. My husband James - Not only is he a constant support for me, he truly makes me feel better. Just knowing that he is there, whether it be in the seat right next to me holding my hand or a simple phone call away, helps me to become stronger and continue fighting. Plus he makes me feel so good about myself. Just the other morning I was helping him with something on the computer and in the middle of the conversation he said "You know, you are really beautiful." Then he leaned over and gave me a big hug. I kept thinking about it all day long and each time it made me smile.

2. Music - Oh, how music soothes me. There is a song for every emotion, and then some. After a tough day, when I'm angry, frustrated, or simply sad, I can turn on my ipod and listen to anything I want and it helps me get through it. Want something that will allow you to laugh? There's a song for that. Need something that will lift you up from being sad? Yep, there's a song for that. Desperate for something to blare out as loud as you can and sing at the top of your lungs while you scream and cry at the sky? There's one for that too.

3. Friends and Family - this one doesn't really need to be explained. It truly helps me to get a card in the mail, a phone call, an email, or a quick visit from someone who just wanted to see how I was doing. So great.

4. My faith - I know that God won't have me go through anything that I won't be able to handle either by myself, with His help, or with the help of someone else.. Knowing that keeps everything in perspective because I know I can get through it. Otherwise I wouldn't have to go through it. Life is about being tested and tried and what I'm going through is just part of that.

5. Laughter - nothing fights off the tough times like a good laugh. Sometimes it's a giggle, but more often than not it's a deep laugh, from the belly, that causes others to join in even if they don't know what they are laughing about. I have some really great people who can make me laugh at the drop of a hat. I love that.

Every day is different, and each day I use different weapons to help me get through the fight. William Feather once said, "One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure". I can follow that up with my own quote that goes, "Life's adventures begin at the edge of our comfort zones." So, go out. Have an adventure and remember that you have so many tools and weapons to help you succeed. If you take a minute to look around and see what you have, you'd be surprised at what you can do. :)

2 comments:

Jane in New Jersey said...

Hi, I came across your blog three weeks ago and thought you were such a good writer--you express thoughts and feelings much better than I ever could. Now, every time I turn on my computer, I have to check out what you have written. Please keep blogging. I think you should be writing for a magazine!! Like Oprah's mag!!

Chilly Beans said...

Jane - Thank you for saying such kind things about my writing. You made me smile and boosted my confidence. I'll definitely keep writing, and I'll definitely try to make posts much more often. Thank you for making me feel so good. :)