Friday, March 26

Plenty of time for thinking

I'm alone by myself most of the time since James works, and honestly, that's fine for me. I have time to myself, time for rest when I'm not feeling my best, time to work on very small projects (or individual steps within a big project) and, of course, plenty of time for thinking.

Being sick has its ups and downs, as I am sure any person who has had to deal with a lengthy sickness can tell you. The big things are the scariest things, and those are the items that you really focus on, such as having surgery, radiation therapy, and one day overcoming cancer. Those big things keep you pretty occupied, and thank the Lord for that because the last thing a person needs is to be occupied with anything else at that time in their life. However, there are a bunch (and I mean a bunch) of little things that come up that are unexpected and frustrating, and worrisome. But after everything else you are going through during the recovery period, you don't want to run to the doctor for every little thing.

Enter the Internet. Now, the internet is a great place to find resources, research, and information about the myriad of little things that come up seemingly out of the blue. It can be both good and bad. I remember years ago at a job I had when my co-worker and I were talking about a test he recently had done and he wanted to find out some more information before his next doctor's appointment. I suggested he go to webmd.com, but his eyes got huge and he repeatedly shook his head as he whispered urgently, "Don't ever go to that site! You could look up a cut on your finger and the next thing you know you are dying of cancer!" I must admit, I laughed. I thought he was making it up because I had found lots of good information there before. True, I wasn't looking up anything about a cut on my finger, but still. A few days later my sister had the same reaction. She said not to go to webmd.com because if you tried to do a search on an ingrown toenail without fail it would make you think that you had several infections (and rare) diseases that you would die from. It's funny to think about it now, but I can understand their reactions. Webmd was a big name when it first came out and was full of every possible diagnosis for even the simplest of things. With that much information it's no wonder people were freaking out.

Things have considerably calmed down, but I like to visit Mayoclinic.com since their information is a bit more vague. Plus they have great articles and good tips on a whole slew of things that come in very handy. So today when I was surprised by an unexpected health issue, I calmly made my way over there and found out it was another lovely side effect of everything I am going through. Perfect. Now I can get on with my day and spend my thoughts on something else, thank you very much.

No comments: