Monday, January 19

A Tough Life

I know most of you are probably thinking this post can't possibly have anything to do with me since my life just can't possibly be that tough. But truly it is. See, I have learned something recently. I have learned that I used to think that a "tough life" was one that had a lot of emotional, physical, or mental scaring; that it had more to do with the horrible events that must have transpired in one's life in which to make it tough; that it was filled with heart-wrenching decisions that had to be made where no answer is easy, or the best choice, or the right choice. I have learned that a tough life is in the eye of the beholder. It is so easy for us to see someone else's life and think they have it so good. We think how great it would be to have the big house and all the money, but do we think about how lonely or sad someone really is? We think about the rich, the spoiled, the famous, the one's who have what appear to be an easy life, and we think that our own lives would be that much better if we had what they had; that we would do it all differently. But how many of us think that about our own lives? How many times do we think about stuff we have done in the past that we desperately wish we could take back, or do over, or never do at all? How often do we think about the choices we have to make in difficult situations only to think about how it would be if we would have chosen a different path?

I've learned that every life is hard and every person has challenges they have to face and struggle to get over. I once told James that my life was so hard. He kind of looked at me disbelieving, so I clarified by saying "It is so hard for me. My life is tough." Some of you may think that is not true because I always seem so happy and ready to tell a joke or a story or cheer someone up. Where I do pride myself on being able to do those things, I would just like to state for the record that I have a pretty tough life full of really difficult days, where I can rake myself over the coals pretty good. My dad always said, "You are your worst critic." and I unfortunately know that all too well. I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone should realize that not everyone else has it easier than you and what may look like a simple life is really not. And if you know people who make life look so easy and wonderful, just try to imagine what they must have to go through each day to keep that up. Just give everyone a chance and the benefit of the doubt and you will be surprised at the things you learn. Have a good night, everyone.

1 comment:

stampinashley said...

I'm not sure that could have been stated ANY better way! Seriously... even when you look at "thos other people" and think that something they have is easier... think about all the things about them that you wouldn't like to be or have, and soon you'll still be happy that you are you.

It's a part of life, I think it's part of everyone's like. We're glad for the good things we have, sad about the things that are tough. But truly, the good things wouldn't seem good, unless we had the tough to compare them with.

So really, in order to know sweet, you still have to know bitter, or else you would know nothing at all.