Thursday, October 7

Thanks for the Memories

The other day, for some random reason that I can't quite remember, my husband and I were talking about Trapper Keepers. How many of you remember them? How many of you actually used them? I remember being so envious of those kids who had them, and wished so badly that I could get one, but they were insanely expensive and we just didn't have the money for that sort of luxury.

Trapper Keepers were so cool and so organized! They had a three ring binder to hold your Trapper Keeper folders, and a pad of paper fastened to a small clip on the back. It was all held together by a vinyl covered folder that closed using velcro. Totally bodacious!!

I also remember having a tin lunch box. They were so fantastic! My oldest sister had a Rose-Petal Place lunch box.

My other older sister had a Gremlin lunch box that she just loved. On one side was Gizmo in a car with the scary Gremlin lurking around in the back, and the other side was just Gizmo with his owner.

I had a Care Bears lunch box. It was pretty cool.
When I was in grade school (or elementary school) I carried this to school every day. After I was done eating my lunch, I would go out to the playground. We weren't allowed to have our lunch boxes on the actual playground, so we had to put them next to the fence that everyone had to line up at to go back to class. I grew up in Southern California where there really was no such thing as an inside school. Everything was outside, except for the classes of course. So once we walked out of the cafeteria we were outside and we had to walk this strip of asphalt to get to the playground. The rage during that time was to slide your lunch box all the way across the strip of asphalt from the cafeteria and land it right next to the fence. It was the cool thing to do. So I joined in, and let me tell you, I used to make that thing SPARK! It was so awesome to see my lunch box sliding down the ground, sparks flying, and slam into the fence. It never broke. it was one of the good lunch boxes. It was one of my favorite things to do. It did get quite scuffed up, but it was worth it.

I love thinking about things like this from the past. What sort of memories do you have from your childhood?

1 comment:

Gina said...

I've got one for you. When I was in 6th grade, there was a 4th grader who was actually bigger than me, named Randy P. He was my nemesis. He used to make terrible fun of me, and one day I took my Strawberry Shortcake lunchbox and whacked him over the head with it. He never bothered me again.... But as a consequence, you were not allowed to take her Care Bear lunchbox onto the playground a couple of years later. :)