Thursday, July 22

A new visitor

There hasn't been much activity in the tree lately, at least not at the times I've looked outside, but I have noticed a couple of things.

I found this little spider attached to the side of the apartment complex and to the tree. He was just hanging out, minding his own business, probably trying to catch an early morning meal or something.

I've noticed that there are six wasps in the tree outside the window (all the more reason to keep the window closed...not that we open it anyway, but still).

At first I was concerned that the wasps were building a nest in the tree and I was sure that more wasps would follow, but I don't think that's the case. I've been watching them for a few days now and I've noticed that they are only there until about mid morning or around noonish. Then, they fly away and I don't see them again until the next morning. I'm not sure when they come back to the tree, but I'll see if I might be able to look at night. It's harder to see, but James' camera has a wicked night setting that I'd like to try out on these guys. And provided it's not windy and the tree doesn't move I should be able to get some decent shots, that is, if they are in the tree at night. I've seen one or two fly into the tree once or twice in late afternoon, but I honestly think they just sleep there and the tree provides good coverage. And unfortunately since they showed up, not a lot of insects are around anymore. The grasshopper, the kung fu dude, that huge moth/horsefly, and even the spider are all gone. That's alright though. It's still fun for me to see what I can spot in the tree each day.

No comments: