Sunday, April 19

And now for the real story

Today is Sunday; a day of new beginnings; a day for refreshment and reviving the soul. It's funny to think of this past week and how much has gone on and then to sit back and look at it now and realize how quickly it has gone. I have officially lost 15 pounds (weighed myself this morning) on the "surgery diet". Anyone who has been on this diet can certainly attest to the quickness of this specific plan, although I truly do not recommend it unless absolutely necessary and even then I would seriously think of alternatives. I'm gathering more strength, but I have noticed how my neck just is not quit ready to support my head yet, my vocal chords still do not work properly, and my eyes have a tendency to just give up all together and shut at random times throughout the day (and I'm not talking about falling asleep - they just decide they have looked at enough things and their job is over. It's kind of funny, actually.) 

I have been able to sleep somewhat, though not as successfully as last night. The first night back home from the hospital I tried to sleep on the bed, but it was too difficult for me, so I ended up sleeping on the reclining chair next to my bed for a bit before crawling over to the couch and getting touch and go sleep that night. The next day was more of the same, though I was able to eat a somewhat normal diet. Thursday night I didn't even try to sleep in the bed as it was just too cumbersome, so it was another night spent out on the couch. 

Friday was a very bad day. I was so nauseous I couldn't even drink anything, though I really tried to. My mother-in-law came and spent the day with me as James had to go to work. She is an amazing woman. She is so selfless, so giving, so kind, and willing to help out with anything. I've felt humble in my life before, but this surgery has brought out the humility in me ten fold, and I must say I have never felt so much love and gratitude for people since my surgery. My mother-in-law cleaned my house. She scrubbed my bathroom, vacuumed my floors, cleaned my kitchen, and hand mopped my floors on her hands and knees. That woman selflessly gave of her time and talents to help someone like me and didn't even think twice about it. She is amazing. I spent the whole day in bed begging the good Lord above to take away the nausea. It was a really long day.

Saturday my mom and little brother Zack spent the day with me since James had to go into work then too. It was extremely wonderful. I was still slightly nauseated but I forced myself to eat some toast and drink some Sprite. James' family is wonderful for so many different reasons. One of my especially favorite wonderful things about his family is that his sister is an operating room nurse, and his brother is an anesthesiologist. We have called them both on several instances to seek advice and ask questions about certain health related questions, and they have always been so helpful. James' mom spoke to his brother on Friday night because she was so concerned about me and truly...it was really bad. He said I really needed to force myself to eat or it would get worse, so I did. My mom brought over gatorade and fruit and soup and then she spent the whole day with me just sitting on the couch, refilling my ice pack as needed, and watching TV with me and my little brother. It was so cozy! The house was dark and cool, it was raining outside, and we were all snuggled up watching good movies. I started drinking the gatorade and was feeling much better. I even had soup for lunch...a whole bowl!! It was very exciting.

Now today I have done nothing but rest. I think I'm about sick of watching TV, and feel I am ready to turn my sights toward nintendo! Ye-haw! I know this was lengthy so thanks for sticking it through. I also wanted to say thank you to everyone for the food, the flowers, the well wishes, the thoughts, the prayers, the company, and the phone calls. You are all amazing!! I'll post more tomorrow after we get back from the doctor so I can keep everyone up to date on what the latest plan of attack is. Have a good night!

1 comment:

Amy Drotar said...

So glad you are doing better! I keep thinking about you, but I hesitated to bother you. Your mom-in-law sounds awesome! What an awesome gift to have. Never take her granted!!! I miss my mom-in-law terribly. I know it will get easier, but it has been a tough couple of weeks. Anyhow, keep in touch! Glad to see you are doing well.