Thursday, September 26

Before and After

Hello again everyone! I finally feel like I am back from the land of the ill. Well, somewhat at least. This whole surgery has been quite the experience, and I find I am very grateful that I am now in the healing stages of it. I can hardly believe that it was just over a week ago that I went in to have a bilateral neck dissection. I can also hardly believe that things are healing so well and I'm feeling so much better. Today I'm tired, but I had a pretty busy day yesterday so it was to be expected.

The surgery went well. No complications and no nausea (thank you very much modern medicine!). The nursing staff at the hospital were nothing short of angels. I'm not joking or exaggerating that at all. These lovely women and men were so kind and compassionate, so understanding and caring that I was not prepared to become so attached to them. I plan on making a visit to them once I am able to go out on my own again. They were amazing, and the hospital was astounding.

I just love my doctor. I can honestly say I am a repeat customer, since he did my first surgery (thyroidectomy) four years ago. Dr. Andrew Nemechek is one of the best doctors I have ever been able to work with. He is so fun and really gets to know his patients. He is firm and confident in his medical knowledge and care of patients, and he is kind and supportive and really enjoys people. I can't say enough nice things about him and would highly recommend him to anyone who may need a head and neck surgeon in the Denver metro area.

I had a hard time in the hospital because my tail bone hurt so bad. I couldn't really lay on my side at all, so for about six days I slept on my back. Anyone who has been to the hospital knows that the beds and chairs are not the most comfortable places to try and rest, nor are we as people meant to lie around for six days. By the time Sunday rolled around I was anxious to go home. I was released on Sunday morning and slept most of the day when I got home.

My husband is so wonderful to me. He has taken care of me so well, so beyond what I ever expected, that it moves me to think about it. You never know truly how much people love you until they serve you in the most vulnerable ways. He helps me bathe, consistently puts medicine on my wound, fills my ice bags, rubs lotion on my arms and legs, helps me move, lifts and supports my head and neck, makes me breakfast and lunch and dinner, goes to the store to get me things I need for the healing process, ties my hair back, and practically waits on me hand and foot yet he still goes to work each day, and does everything in the house that needs to be done that I am not able to help with yet. Never once has he complained. Never once has he said he just needed to rest. Never once did he not help me with something I needed, and even does things for me I don't need. I've told him "thank you" a million times, and "I love you" a million more. He has told me that he loves me more because of this experience, and I have told him the same thing. My husband means everything to me, and he makes my whole world happy.

I received lots of visitors at the hospital, for which I am very grateful. Thank you to everyone who came to see me. You have no idea how much you uplifted me at the exact moment I needed it. I love you all and appreciate you taking the time to come visit me! :)

Now, on to some pictures. This is the part where I have to warn you that some people may find these pictures a bit graphic. There isn't any blood or nasty stuff, but I just have to put the warning out there.

 
In the hospital. This is the right side of my neck. The incision starts just below my ear.

This is the middle of my neck. The scar goes all the way around to just below my left ear.
 
This is at home. They took half the staples out when I left the hospital. I had two drains in as well, but they removed one on Friday or Saturday and the other right before I was discharged on Sunday. This is the right side of my neck.
 
Middle of my neck. That goopy looking stuff is called Bacitracin. It's like Neosporin and helps the wound to heal.
 
The left side of my neck. You can see where one of the drain holes used to be, and I'm a little bruised. This side was not as involved as the right side was.
 
I'm still smiling! Or at least trying to. I am still numb in places on my face, and may be permanently numb in the area just below my chin due to the nerves that were cut.
 
I have two ice bags on my neck. That's my sanctuary.
 
All the staples were taken out and this is the right side of my neck. You can see the drain hole from this side just below the top of the scar.
 
Middle of my neck. I think it's cool that you can see where the staples were.
 
Left side of my neck.
  
Everything is healing nicely and I'm just trying to give my body the time it needs to heal. I hope this is all the surgery I have to do. They ended up removing 59 lymph nodes and only finding cancer in 8 or 9 of them, so getting the surgery done now was definitely the way to go since it hadn't spread very far. The ultrasounds only showed three lymph nodes that were cancerous, so if we just would have gone in and taken out those three lymph nodes we would have had to go back some time later and had more surgery to remove the ones that were still in there we couldn't see. Hopefully I can be declared cancer free in a little while and move on to bigger and better things. I hope everyone is doing well and happy. Take care!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowza Lady!! That's a pretty sweet scar and just in time for Halloween. I think that skull scarf will look AMAZING :) Or when you're ready to get a permanent tattoo just let me know, I will totally come with you :) Love you girly - Susan

s'mee said...

Thanks for the photos...I miss seeing you! That's quite an experience you got to go through...you need to write a book, really. You've always been amazing, and evidently you have chosen wisely and he knows that also. I am happy that you two love birds have each other, it's nice to have a soft place to land. : )
As far as those scars are concerned, wear them courageously or ferociously -depending on the occasion, dress them up with some pearls or let them be naked and free, you've earned those exclamation points!
Again, thanks for the smile, but know it's o.k. to cry (or scream) (or ice cream)if you need to.
i love you!