Thursday, February 4

Moldy Crayons, Crocheting, and Other Fancy Things

The other day I pulled out some coloring books and crayons that I hadn't used in ages. I usually enjoy coloring because it is very soothing to me. I really like trying to focus on what color I should use and how I can make blank pages look. It takes my mind off other things. So, the other day the mood struck me to color and I pulled everything out. I have many boxes of crayons, but one box I haven't used at all. I opened the crayons, excited at the thought of being the first to use them, and was unbelievably surprised at what I found. There was mold on the crayons! Take a look!


At first I thought it was just some dust, but then I took a closer look.


Gross! I honestly didn't think that crayons could grow mold!

I took the crayons out of the box, gave them a good washing, and they were as good as new. Note to everyone: use your new crayons from Roseart as quickly as possible to avoid moldy crayons!

Another thing I have been doing lately is crocheting. My friend Gina taught me how to crochet a couple of weekends ago and I can't seem to put it down. She's a fantastic teacher, so patient and understanding. I loved having her teach me how to do this wonderful craft! I honestly can't believe that I went this long in my life without learning how to do it before. I am making a small blanket and pillow for Lil Pig. Here's what it looks like so far.



It really is a fun thing to do and I think everyone should learn how to crochet. I have a great teacher if any of you would like a recommendation! The only thing I forgot to ask about was how to finish a piece. I don't want to make this pillow any bigger, so I'm kind of stuck at the moment. And I would love to start on Lil Pig's blanket, but I don't want to cut off the piece I am working on and have it be too small in case that's not how it's done. I'll just need to call up Gina and ask her how to do it. I'm going to see her tomorrow so I'll more than likely try and set up another lesson again soon so I can ask a few more refined questions and learn how to finish a piece. Lil Pig's birthday is coming up really soon so I thought this would be a perfect present for her.

I also got James an early Valentine's day present. Anyone who has ever seen James' car knows that the door handle on the outside of the drivers side of the car, is missing and has been for quite some time. He managed to find a way to jimmy-rig it so he could actually open his car door from the outside, and he got so good at it that he was able to open it with one hand most of the time. However, if the door handle was slippery or your hands wet from the snow or rain it was darn near impossible to open the door. What you had to do in that instance was open the back door and reach around to the front to open the door from the inside. Just trust me when I tell you how terribly inconvenient it was to get that blasted door open. As an early gift to him I went and had the handle on his door fixed without him even knowing. When he came home that night I told him I thought I left something on the front seat of his car and asked him to go get it for me. He went to the car and tried to jimmy-rig the handle like he always does but when he couldn't he had to take a second...and third...look to see what was going on. That was when he realized the door was fixed. He was so happy he danced a little jig right there in the parking lot. It was awesome. I tried to get some pictures, but it was too dark and I was up on the balcony. Today it was snowing a bit when James left for work. I told him he could take the Scion but he said he wanted to take his car because the door handle was finally fixed and he wanted to use it. Ah! It makes me happy that he's so happy about it.

Well, I think that's all for now. I have another gift for James for Valentine's day but it isn't ready yet and I don't want to spoil the surprise. I'll let you know what it is and how it goes over once I give it to him. Until then...happy crocheting everybody!!

1 comment:

Gina said...

Your pillow looks awesome! Finishing a piece is easy, but I think it would be better to tell you by phone or in person, rather than writing it in your blog. There's also a decent tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H36J50CtQCg