Sunday, December 28

A Totally Random Post

This morning as I was getting ready for church I was thinking about James. He goes to church earlier than I do because he has meetings he needs to attend. At any rate, I don't know why, or even where these thoughts came from, but I started thinking about how smart he really is. Now, I am not saying this because it is my biased opinion. I am truly stating this on fact. When it comes to history, politics, current events, football, the economy, and especially orchids he astounds me with his knowledge. This morning I imagined James and I being at a big fancy party complete with fabulous dresses, tuxedos, light piano music playing and chatter from some of the finest guests in the world. James would look fantastic in his tux and I would be his sheepish looking wife in the red dress with sparkles, of course. Now, stay with me because I am going somewhere with this. James and I would be offered something to the equivalent of a fine cocktail beverage and he would politely decline, while I would be the one asking if they had Dr. Pepper with light ice and a straw; any color. Someone would come up, shake our hands, state something about how it is a pleasure to see us and then wish to know our thoughts on the latest economic crisis. James would completely jump in, offer his opinion, ask others their thoughts, then prominently express his opinion followed by some witty joke to which everyone around would laugh delicately, because loud laughter is inappropriate for these parties...no wait! For these types of gatherings. Yes, that's a better word. Meanwhile, I would be standing next to him, smiling, listening to what he was saying until I notice someone else in the distance who had carelessly rested their glass on the edge of the windowsill where at any moment it would slip and fall on the floor causing a crash and a mess and then how would they clean that up without everyone noticing, and wouldn't that person just be so embarrassed that they dropped their beverage on the beautiful hard wood floors that I am sure were of the finest quality and I wonder what type of wood it is and I bet James could put real wood floors down in our house and not those cheap looking (and sounding) vinyl wood floors that many people have now and why couldn't they just go with real wood if they really wanted wood floors in the first place, but I guess that's what they get when they just follow the crowd instead of just doing things on their own and not worrying about what anyone else thinks and...oh, people are laughing...I'll join in even though I have no idea what they are laughing about, but if James said it, then it must be funny. Ha ha ha!! Only my laugh is loud and boisterous and it ricochets off the walls and everyone turns to look at me, and it's right about then that I'm the one who is embarrassed and my face ends up matching my red sparkly dress and I'm wondering where my Dr. Pepper is because I'm suddenly extremely thirsty. James would place his hand over mine and give me a reassuring smile as he turns to the group once more and says "So, how about those Broncos?"

I know I'm random, but I think that's part of my charm. :) I don't have a creative imagination at all, now do I? :)

2 comments:

ellen said...

I forgot how much I love to read your prose, you make me smile

Kim Routson said...

I love your posts. They are so funny and I have so much fun reading them.