Thursday, July 3

I have nothing new to say really

I think people who have kids have a lot more interesting things to write about, and even though they may not write everyday, when they do have time to update the blog it is always with some interesting story. I don't really have that. So I apologize if my blog is boring. I can update you on what has happened in the past month and give myself a chance to get this all out of my head so I don't "stew" over it every single day.

About a month ago I lost my job. I really don't want to go into details, but suffice it to say it was due to medical reasons. Since then I have spent literally every day looking for another job. This has proved to be very difficult indeed, and James and I are beginning to think that perhaps I am meant to be home at this time. I think I have applied to at least twenty different full-time jobs and even more part-time jobs. However, no one...and I mean no one, has called me back for any kind of interview or anything. I call to check the status of the jobs I applied for and they tell me I don't have three years experience in a library setting, or I don't have any experience in the print industry or whatever other reason they tell me. This, as any of you who may have been in this same situation, can prove to be very frustrating.

My day starts when I get up around 8:30. This is also the same time that James leaves in the morning, so even though he doesn't know it he is my alarm clock. :) After I have woken up a bit I go into the study and jump on the computer. I check my phone to see if anyone has called and left any messages, and then I check my email to see if anyone has replied. After that I begin to scour the web for new job listings. I check Careerbuilder, Indeed, the City of Longmont, the Longmont newpaper, Monster, tentilltwo.com (a part time job website), the local school district, Jobing, and a few other job sites I have found along the way. I apply to the jobs that I think I would be able to do, and even some that would stretch me a bit, complete with a resume and a different cover letter for each position. Then I follow up with the jobs I have applied to in the previous weeks and check my email again. Once that process has been done I usually log onto school and do some homework and then realize that it's about 3:30 and I haven't eaten all day so I go and grab a quick bite and straighten up a bit before James gets home. I try to make dinner for him, but sometimes since I eat late I don't feel hungry and don't even think about making dinner. He has to remind me and I am doing better about trying to eat at a normal time so we can eat together in the evening. Once James gets home I may try to do a bit more homework, but after being on the computer all day I usually go and watch TV or read a book. Actually, I end up helping James with his homework. He's getting his second Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design and I'm jealous because he gets to do fun homework like painting and taking pictures, whereas I have to write eight-page papers on the Ethics of an Organization, or Strategic Objectives.

I'm extremely grateful that James is working because that would be too difficult, I think. So I am counting my blessings. On the good side I have been able to stay out of the heat and the sun and so my arms and hands have not broken out. This is always a good thing since the prescription medicine I use to get rid of these breakouts thins my skin. So I try to limit the use of it as much as I can and that involves staying out of the sun. No problem for me. I hate the heat and the sun probably just as much as it hates me. Also, my migraines have decreased thanks in part to the quiet environment I am in now (my home). And when I do get one I don't have to stress about it because I am home and can take care of it here. My apartment is conducive to overcoming my migraines. It is cold, dark, and quiet. I can lie down and hopefully get rid of the pain and I don't have to worry about anything. There are blessings in this little trial of mine, and I do see them. It's funny...I told James the other day that half of me feels bad for not having a job and not getting any calls back, and the other half of me feels bad for not feeling bad about not having a job! Does that even make sense? Well, I have no doubts that Heavenly Father is mindful of James and I and I know He knows our situation. I know I am in His hands, and perhaps that's why I don't feel bad for not having a job. It's not like I am not trying to find something because I truly am. But I also like being home. I feel better here. Anyway, that is my update. I bet you wish I had kids so I could tell you some fun story or something. I'll see what kind of a story I can come up with next time. :)

No comments: