Saturday, September 19

Ode to 4:30

At different times in my life my friends and I would make up various "Ode's" as the situation warranted. Let's see, there was "Ode to Roller Hockey", and "Ode to Scott", and even an "Ode to a Bad Day". We created said "Ode's" in honor of the specific subject that we loved, wanted, or were genuinely frustrated at. It makes perfect sense, then, that I should add to the list of "Ode's" with this one here. Dim the lights please. I am about to take the stage.

Ode to 4:30

Darkness abounds as you beckon my name
Bringing me quickly out of my sleep.
You don't want to fight, argue, wrestle, or play
But instead from my rest, you do keep.

I stumble and stagger and crawl from my bed
Groping the wall on my way
I somehow impossibly get to the couch
Where the next few hours I stay.

My stomach churns, my head spins around
And pain is all I feel.
When will we stop meeting like this?
I need some time to heal.

Oh, dear 4:30 you call much too much
And our friendship has started to wane.
I wouldn't be sad if you left me alone
And never called me again.

Thank you. Thank you. I appreciate the applause. Why, yes, I have dabbled a bit in poetry before, thanks for asking. :) Anyway, I really would be happy if 4:30 would leave me alone for a while. In fact, it's safe to say that I would not be offended if 4:30 never wanted to speak to me again. My feelings would not be hurt in the least bit. One can only hope, I suppose. Until then, I'm afraid 4:30 and I are going to get close. Ugh!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Love it! Inspiring! I was swept right off my feet! Let me know when a publisher contacts you!

Chilly Beans said...

Ha ha! You are too funny, Rachel. I did put my heart into it, and I think that comes through. ;)